Tuesday, January 10, 2006

New Year Trek to Siddhgarh


A very Happy New Year.

Well, 31 Dec of every year is that time of the year for which the people start planning much in advance. For a person like me who lives in Mumbai money is also a big criteria because special occasions like New Year's Eve is pretty costly affair. If it would have been value for money it would have been ok, but they charge you as if you are going to get a home pick in limousine and you would be given a royal treatment but you end up in a place which is so crowded that one doesn't get enough space to shake a leg, one has to fight for drinks n food and when you get in the mood to enjoy its time to close.

Thanks to Kartik who took the initiative to organize something very different this New Year's eve. We went for 2 days trek to a place called Siddhgarh near Kalyan in Mumbai. The planning for it started much in advance. Kartik and Puneet organized everything, right from pick-up points to music and drinks. We were completely spoiled, as we didn't have to bother about anything.

This was my first experience of a trek on a New Year’s eve. Quite aware that my mobile won't be working and I would miles away from civilization I climbed up the mountain to seek something different. I was not in best of shape, I must agree and hence it made the climb up little difficult. I slipped a couple of times and yes it was painful but it didn’t matter that time. I was so busy having a blast of time. Though it was difficult, it was worth every drop of sweat and every layer of dust on my face. Going back to nature made me realize the importance of silence, of observing the beauty around me and of friends around me. For every hand that was raised to help me, I knew I had someone who cared for me. As we climbed up, we saw a snake's skin in one piece. There were beautiful little flowers blooming along the path. Dried leaves covered the path. The branches of the trees along the path touched me to wish me a safe journey. Slowly, it started growing dark. I saw the most beautiful sunset of my life. It was like God speaking through his eternal light from behind the mountains. Between the mountains sun slowly said good-bye with a promise to meet us in a New Year with new hopes and dreams. It was a moonless night, which made the surrounding even more beautiful for me. Climbing up in dark was quite a challenge, as I didn’t know where I was stepping. When I looked up at the sky and it was an amazing experience. I had never seen so many stars in my whole life. The sky seemed like a black velvet cloth where the jeweler has rolled out all its diamonds for everyone to see.

Slowly and steadily we made it to our campsite. Someone switched on the torch and we could see the tents all at a comfortable distance, laid down on a clean area. The tea was ready and we all crashed on the ground with the bags still on our shoulders. Hot tea with snacks arrived and our warm clothes came out. It was then that I realized that it was cold. Tired and shivering, I felt happy. We sang songs and danced too. Food was ready and while we were eating we started our count-down for welcoming a New Year. Everyone shouted "Happy New Year!!!” I looked down in the valley and I could see the fire works happening in Mumbai and I knew I was away from that crowd who would be so drunk that they won't even realize that a New Year has slipped in. I was away from the city of glitter, false smiles, girls drunk and falling on their drunk boy-friends and a city of pretence. I felt happy to be where I was and I hugged my friends and wished everyone who was there a Happy New Year. Though I did miss my parents and sister and all those whom I love so much.

After wishing everyone we all gathered around the fire and talked about various topics. It was getting windy and I was tired. I proceeded towards my tent. Well, if climbing up was difficult, climbing into the sleeping bag was hilarious. We were 4 in one tent. After adjusting ourselves one by one we realized something was not right. In that small tent we tried to adjust in our sleeping bags by turning around in that little space. It took time but once we all got comfortable I realized it was my first night out in open in a jungle! I was damn scared. First of snakes, then of wild cats and then out of the blue moon I remembered "Blair Witch Project" and I couldn't sleep the whole night!

The morning was beautiful. In the night, if the valley seemed a large stretch of darkness, in the morning I realized it was so full of life. Birds were cherping, people around me were waking up and coming out of their tents with a sleepy face. Slowly, the sun peeped out from behind a mountain. Even in winters, everything around us was so green. Standing right at the end of the mountain, watching the steep slope all covered with trees and rocks, with cold wind gushing through my hair and breathing the fresh air, I realized that simple things in life are the most beautiful things to experience and at times doesn’t cost like a rocket too. I had never felt so fresh.

After little rappeling and breakfast we started our climb down. It had started getting hot and all we wanted to do was reach the base camp. I was tired with all the climbing, celebrations and of course all that thinking too! People got lost in the way, we had to wait for some and some had to wait for us but in the end when we all reached the base camp, it was a great feeling of achievment.

It was not only related to doing something different, it was more of knowing my physical strength, going to a place as beautiful as Siddhgarh and seeing nature so closely. I know I am city girl. All this is only good for a few days, but whatever little time I had spent there, it made me feel fresh like never before. On the first day of the year I wasn't cribbing about no-value for money parties or getting stuck in traffic or breathing pollution or cursing everyone in govt! I was happy and fresh and ready to start another year with more strength and willingness. It was an amazing experience and I would always look forward for another chance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi kitten,
i saw the pics. gr8 way to go babez. nice and a unique way to celebrate the onset of a new year. let the exciting ideas flow more...also give us some tips...

Anonymous said...

Read your trip to Siddgarh, and I must say that your narrative was a delightful read.

Your words are lucid—and your thought streams brought Siddgarh to me right here in my office at TIS.

Your travel tale has got me to think of better ways to spend the following New Years Eve. I wasn't with you that day, but after reading your blog, I would like to thank you for letting me be there just the same.

Not that I had clichéd ideas of a software engineer, but I was pleasant surprised to read about your experiences and I found them as refreshing as your morning cuppa!

Please keep writing, and I too will stay connected to your space. Thanks……..