Wednesday, April 26, 2006

It's not just an Orange Candy...

Orange candy. It's my favorite ice cream. I could never enjoy any other ice cream as much as I enjoy Orange Candy and this is the best thing to enjoy in hot, humid and sultry summer. Its sweet and its cold. Its made up of ice and flavored syrup only. Nothing to make mothers proud of while they give it to their children, but still the pleasure which comes from it, no other ice-cream can come near to it! The moment I take it out of the wrapper, the humid air around it creates a dense cloud of condensed vapors. I can feel those cold vapors on my nose and my mouth starts watering with the anticipation of what is coming. The moment I put it in my mouth the ice melts away to give the sweetest flavor. The ice, which melts in the mouth, sends the chill down till the stomach. My eyes shut automatically to cut away the disturbance which could take away the pleasure of having my favorite and one and only Orange Candy.

Every time I have an Orange Candy I get transported to the days when I was just 9-10 years old in Agra. I used to study in St. Patrick's School. The best thing about that school was, till 5th std there was no exams for us. We used to have class tests at regular interval and depending upon how we performed in those class tests, we were graded at the end of the year to be promoted to next class. Well, during those days, that was least of my worries. I used to worry about getting 10-10 in my class tests because that carried a promise, which my father had made to me. Every time I used to get 10-10 in class, I used to wait for my father to come home after office because he had promised me 1 Re if I scored 10-10 in class tests. That 1 Re was the most prized possession for me in those days because with that 1 Re I was able to buy an Orange Candy after school. When school used to get over I used to proudly go to the ice-cream man and buy myself one of those orange colored sweet and cold candy. When all the kids used to go to their respective rickshaw, I used to stand at the gate to show off, in front of everyone, my prized possession.

From those days, its not just an orange candy for me. It's a symbol of joy, pleasure and sense of achievement. It was not the matter of earning 1 Re. It was how I earned that money for myself. And hence, the joy and pleasure got stuck to that simple ice-candy with no nutritional value. Even today when I pull the candy out of its wrapper, that sense of achievement never betrays me. Though today its cost is 5 Rs and the money comes from my own pocket and not my father's, but still the flavor and cold and sweet sensation transports me back to the days when it was worth 10-10 marks in my test copy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Kritika, if you get an A+ in your appraisal this cycle, I will buy you an orange candy

Savy said...

Hmmm.... also reminds me of sitting at Sukhadia Circle near Chotu bhai's stall in late afternoon after college or late evening after our FS trips :-)

Reading this I couldnt stop and just now went to icecream shop (but had a triple sundae instead as candies arent available there;-))

Anonymous said...

Have you heard of the 'Blooker prize'? It is given to books that are born from blogs. You may want to try for that...and buy yourself another orange candy when you win!

Anonymous said...

Wow.. this is so true..!! I had to leave a comment here...I loVE the orange bar too, and there are a million reasons for that...I will just write a few( since its your blog space:-), the most motivating reason is the price tag , next in line is the fact that my father never raises any objection to it
(as he generally does when I jump at the sight of puchka waalas) and the best part it is so healthy!!
Have you ever heard anybody get sick after eating orange bars , If you have .. well then ... let's keep them away from this blog..lol

Anonymous said...

hi betu
one thing u forgot to write. once in agra papa's boss mr. avtar singh called us for dinner at mughal sherton a five star hotel. after dinner he asked u for the icecream and he suggested the costliest icecream the honeymoon special and he orderd for t5hat. but betu u only wanted to have orange bar.at 12 o'clock in the night u r avatar uncle went to the market and he also enjoyed the orange bar with u. love u mom

~RAUL~ said...

orange candy:you :: mango bar: me

oh i love those good ol' days...

Well written btw. Totally nostalgic...

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...very nicely written...but u know the cherry on the top is ur mom's comment that u left expensive icecream to eat orange candies...lucky girl,ur mom luv's u a lot!
amit